Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Some light in the darkness

Our master bedroom has become a slumber party room for the past few months.  Hailey hasn't slept in her bed in over a year.  She is either sleeping on the floor in Spencer's room or most recently, is on the floor in our room.  The past few days, Spencer has joined her in our room so now it's just one big party in our room every night.  (We know this won't last forever, and that's a good thing :)  However, last night, around 1:45 a.m. I heard Spencer really coughing and wheezing.  So, I woke him up and took him upstairs so he could lay in his own bed and I gave him a breathing treatment of albuterol.  That takes about 15-20 minutes on the nebulizer to administer.  The poor little guy was just coughing so badly that I decided to also give him some cough/cold medicine to stop the 'tickle' in his throat and hopefully help his congested nose.  When we were done with the nebulizer I told him that I would stay with him until he fell asleep.  He looked up at me and with his sweet little voice said, "Mom, I know what I need.  Let's say a prayer.  That will make me feel better."  


Spencer performed his 4th grade musical last night.  These photos were taken at the school assembly performance during the day.   He is on the top row, 2nd from the right.  Just before the performance started, he went to the bathroom and ran wet fingers through his hair to make it extra spikey looking!  ha ha


It took my sweet, little 9 year old boy to show me how to use faith.  At first, my instincts as a mother took over and I quickly was in the mind-set of "how do I stop the wheezing?  What medications can I give him?"  I'm not ashamed that those were my first responses because it really did help him and I hope that I am divinely inspired when it comes to physically helping my children.  But, I am ashamed that I did not think to pray before I let him fall back asleep.  In the darkness of the night, my sweet Spencer shed some light on me and taught me a valuable lesson. 
 Why do we sometimes ignore the Great Healer? 

 I don't think we mean to do this intentionally, but so often I think we as a people try to fix things on our own.  What a great reminder it was to me to hear my sweet son ask me to stay and offer a prayer to help him feel better.  


I went back to bed and pondered about what I had just been taught. Thank you, Spencer, for reminding me to think of my Savior more often and to go to Him in prayer, even if it's just to "help me feel better."  

No comments: