Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Note Saver

I will admit it . . . I am a note saver! I absolutely treasure the notes that my kids leave for me.  I have saved every one in binders because I just can't bear the thought of tossing them in the trash.  Last night, Tom and I went to dinner with my dear friend, Caree who was just recently engaged!  She has gone through a really rough divorce and  has been single (with 4 children) for about 4 years now.  She has finally met a man who treats her like a queen and is her "soulmate" (Caree says).  I couldn't be happier for her!

    
(sorry for the camera phone photo, but here we are at CPK)

Anyway, on my way home, Hailey called me and said, "Mom, you need to come home right now!  I drawed you a picture and you need to see it!"  She sounded really sad and when I got home, here is what I found:


Let me translate it for you:  Dear Mom and Dad, I missed you so! so! so! so! . .  much.  Look at this picture!  Look Look at it please, please!  (then at the top this is the part that just crushed me:  there is a heart and it says "hole" (whole), "half", "more," "brokin" (broken), then finally "pises" (broken in pieces.)  Is that sad or what?  I was only gone about 2 hours but to her, it must have seemed like forever!  We hugged for a long time after that.

 This is another note that I thought was so super cute.  I had to leave one afternoon to pick up my older son from football and Kelsey also was getting ready to be picked up for dance class.  Spencer was at scouts, so there was nobody else in the house.  Hailey had fallen asleep on the family room floor after school (little kindergartners get really tired!) and she looked so peaceful that I didn't want to wake her up.  I called Tom, and he was on his way home but Hailey would be alone for about 5-10 minutes.  I knew she would probably stay asleep and wouldn't even know she was alone, but her older sister, Kelsey, was really worried about it and left her this note, in case she woke up:
 Some things I love about Kelsey --she crossed out her name and wrote, "Secret Angel."  She likes to do nice things anonymously - what a great character trait.  She also pays close attention to detail, like taking the time to "burn" the edges of the note to give it a mysterious look.  I loved it!  She did tell me though, that she burned the edges OUTSIDE and not in the kitchen.  Phew!   Still, it was a very thoughtful thing to do.  That's just like my Kelsey.  :)


My boys are not big note writers.  Spencer has written some and I have saved every one.  But Kohler . . . not so much now that he is in high school.  But that's ok. The ones I do get from him (Mother's Day, Christmas) mean so much.  It's just so fun to see your child take the initiative to write something on their own and see how they interpret things.  I love it!

No comments: