Monday, November 7, 2011

I am thankful

Today the weather in AZ is nice and cool.  We had a pretty good rainstorm last night which cooled everything down.  I've worn a sweatshirt all day and it feels great!  We had a really fun weekend just being together as a family.  But the thoughts that are mainly in my mind today are how thankful I am for the church.  Yesterday was such a fantastic testimony meeting. One of our laurels shared a beautiful testimony of her love of the scriptures.  She said that one day she was thinking, "How can I be grateful for the scriptures if I've never taken the time to really study them and get to know them?"  So, she did and bore the sweetest testimony of how the words of Nephi has helped her in so many personal ways.  (her parents recently have divorced).  What an insightful thing to say----that really touched me and has motivated me today to study and get to know my scriptures better so I can truly be grateful for them.  


Also, I am thankful for good YM Leaders. Last Friday night, the YM leaders took the boys out for pizza and spent time talking and getting to know the boys better.  Then, on Saturday morning, Kohler had to wake up at 5:45 a.m. and go with his Priests Quorum to the Mesa Airport and participate in a "Fly-In."  (an activity where scouts were able to go up in a small plane, some were able to fly the plane in the co-pilot's seat, and visit the control tower).  Anyway, it was really hard for Kohler to wake up.  His YM leader, and our good friend Eric Peterson, came over to pick him up.  He had to wait a little because Kohler was just dragging his feet.  Then, as he walked down the stairs he said, "Kohler, you are getting so STRONG!  I arm wrestled you last night and I will  never do that again.  If I do, you'll kill me!"  Bro. Peterson began to laugh and Kohler cracked a smile and even a slight laugh came out.  I watched this leader buoy up Kohler instead of saying, "Dude - we are all waiting for you--Cmon!!"  He slowly transformed Kohler just by his words and actions.  When they left, I looked over at Tom and said, "Now, there's a great leader---Kohler knows he is loved."




Then, last night, our Kelsey couldn't sleep.  She is really nervous because today was her first rehearsal for her string chamber ensemble (which she auditioned for and made it!! - she plays violin).  But even more than that, cheerleading tryouts start today after school and she really wants to make the squad.  There are only 20 spots and over 100 girls trying out.  I think she will be great but she is uneasy about the competition.
Here is Kelsey at a Stadium of Fire Rehearsal.  She is the only one smiling in the middle.  I think she would make a great cheerleader!  

 So, after giving her some Ibuprofen PM and telling her to read more, she still couldn't fall asleep.  She came downstairs once again and asked her dad for a blessing.  Tom gladly did and said some wonderful things to her.  One thing he said that stood out in my mind was when he told her that no matter what the outcome of this week is, the tremendous blessings and angelic attributes Heavenly Father has given her will remain with her.  Nobody can take them away.  That really comforted her.  She must have fallen asleep after that because she didn't come downstairs after that.  Again ---I am SO thankful . . .  

No comments: