Monday, November 28, 2011

A Blessed Thanksgiving

You know, there are not many places in this world where you can walk into someone else's home, make yourself comfortable, get a drink from the fridge, and relax on the couch in your jammies until late into the night.  Being with family is like being HOME.  


Tom's mom, Mary, is in the background cooking with Alex.  It was SO much fun having here there.  She flew down from Utah to be with us and it wouldn't have been the same without her!


I am so thankful this year that we were able to drive to Tucson and have Thanksgiving with Tom's two sisters, their families, and his mother. (Scott is still in Iraq and we really missed him!)  I have been in their family for almost 20 years now and they are truly family to me.  


Colleen and Wade went out of their way to make everything so wonderful for all of us.  Not one thing was forgotten or left out.  They did it all and it was SO amazing!! (including the awesome rice balls and fudge in this picture!!)
 Spencer sat right in front of the yams because that is his all-time favorite Thanksgiving dish.  He must have had about 4 servings!
 Even Kohler broke into the yummy cheeseball before dinner.  (that cheeseball is the culprit for extra pounds gained this weekend!)

 I even made two gluten-free pies for Mary and Alex.  They actually turned out pretty nice.  I was so glad they had a fun dessert they could eat!

 Lisa, Tyler, and Alex Stratton drove all the way from Tulsa to be with us.  It was SO fun to hang out with them and laugh while we played the craziest games!  ("Quelf"---so much fun!)
The food was incredible and we all stuffed ourselves because it tasted so delicious. But, the food isn't what brought us together.  We are tied to each other eternally---we are family.  I believe Lisa would still have driven all that way even if we were just having a few frozen pizzas for dinner.  I would have done the same thing.  Being together is truly what the holidays are all about and this year I am so thankful that I have family that I want to be with and they want me there as well.  Isn't it great to be loved and also... to LOVE?

No comments: