Thursday, May 17, 2012

Utah . . . we love thee!

My Grandpa Aldon Tall was such a funny man.    He was a brilliant doctor with the greatest sense of humor.  He would say the funniest things to make us all laugh. 
I really miss my grandparents.
 I remember him singing a song that I didn't quite understand until my mom explained further. . . "Utah (then he would blow a raspberry!) . . . we love thee!"  Everyone would laugh but I didn't get it as a kid.  My mom then told me that Grandpa Tall is a true Idahoan through and through and that he would make fun of the Utah State Song by blowing a raspberry after he said, "Utah."  Well, around here, we love both Idaho and Utah but we especially have a fond spot in our heart for Utah because that's where we have spent many summer days and winter holidays with family.  Spencer was able to choose Utah for his state report.  


 He had to type out a five paragraph essay on Utah and make a tri-fold poster for the "state fair" that was held on Tuesday morning.  Did you notice that BYU got 3 photos and the U of U only one tiny one?  hee hee  We are pretty big BYU fans over here!

Hailey's class was just leaving the state fair as I walked in so we were able to get a quick picture!

The State Fair is where all of the fourth graders put their tri-folds up for display and all of the other kids can walk around and ask the kids questions about their state.  I asked Spencer if parents were allowed to come and he said NO.  Well, I have already raised two other fourth graders and I knew parents were allowed to come so I decided to surprise him and show up!


 I walked right up to him and his back was turned to me.  I said in a loud voice, "Excuse me, can you tell me about the great state of Utah?"  His little face lighted up and he thanked me for coming!  (actually, the first words out of his mouth were, "I'm so sorry Mom"--because we had a little tiff earlier that morning and Spencer was really irritable.)  He is such a kind-hearted little boy.  
 I was so glad that I didn't miss that opportunity to go and visit him. There were a lot of other moms there and I knew he would be happy if I came.  I only have one more fourth-grader coming up so I wasn't about to miss this one.  
Here is Spencer with one of his good friends, Tanner Day, and some other kid in a red shirt.  (yes, Spencer is in dire need of a haircut---that is soon to come.  His oral presentation of his report is tomorrow so that haircut better be today!)


Also - to my friend Nancy B. -  Nancy - I have tried and tried to respond to your sweet comments----but this is the only way I can communicate with you---  We lost your card with your email address and when I try to reply to your comments or get on your button factory blog, it says it is only open to invited guests.  I would love to read about your family and keep in touch.  Can you help me be able to view it? 

Thanks for all the nice things you write---we miss ya and hope life is treating you well out there in your new home!


3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Nick did his report on Utah also. I made him (it wasn't that hard given he was born there and we spend as much of summer there as we can) cause I needed an excuse to use my beehive shaped cake pan.

Tom said...

I loved the photos. Thanks for taking those and sharing. I sure love that kid. Spencer is truly special. I bet he'll appreciate his trip to the mountains even more this summer.

Nancy said...

Weird, our blog is not private
http://button-factory.blogspot.com
but my email is nancybutton@ymail.com for further communication. Obviously we love watching your so positive family! Yesterday the kids were listening to show tunes and King and I came in the mix; I had to just stop and sit and enjoy all the positive memories mainly involving the Chamberlain family. Thanks again.