Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Moroni has made it to Gilbert!

I see the Gilbert Arizona Temple almost every day.  It's central to the errands I am running.  When I gas up my car at Costco, I see the temple.  When I take my kids to play at their friend's home, I see the temple.  When I drive my kids to school we can see the temple across the fields. Next year, we will have all four of our kids going to school on Quartz Street where both Campo Verde High School and Quartz Hill Elementary School are located. They are within walking distance of each other.  If you step outside the school entrances, you can see the temple.  It is super cool!  


 Yesterday, May 15, 2012 was the day that the Angel Moroni was placed on top of the temple.  What a beautiful thing it is to see him up there all shiny and gold - beckoning people to come to the temple!

I have always loved Moroni and thought of him as a true hero.  He was the last Nephite of the Book of Mormon who sacrificed so much to preserve those sacred plates.  I think of him, all alone, writing the plain and precious words that challenge us to find out for ourselves if the Book of Mormon is true.  I am so happy to see his figure up on the temple.  It makes the temple more complete and makes us all feel "at home" seeing a familiar icon placed for all to see.  

I waited at the bus stop and grabbed Spencer and Hailey so we could go and see it.  I didn't tell them where we were going but after a few stoplights, I said, "Hey guys - do you notice anything different on the temple?"  Spencer noticed it right away and then Hailey saw Moroni too!  We all were so excited and there were many other families who had the same idea and were all stopping to take pictures of this memorable day!
Of course, afterwards I took the kids to McDonalds for some after school treats.  This was a very long-awaited day for me.  I think each of us living close to this temple feel like this is "our" temple and we feel a real sense of ownership to it.  This is the temple where Kohler most likely will receive his endowments.  This is the temple where Kelsey might be married.  In a way, it feels like we are building our own house because we are so excited to watch the progress each week----but of course, it's not ours . . . it's the Lord's house . . . and I just feel so privileged to be a member of the church and have a temple recommend so I can go inside someday and participate in those marvelous blessings of service for our dead, SO close to home.  

1 comment:

Nancy said...

So sad to have missed it. That temple was the true beauty of Gilbert to me, and pretty much the only thing that could have kept me positive about sticking around. Now I get to look forward to the opening of the Indianapolis temple!