Monday, May 7, 2012

It's All About the Climb

Some days life is pretty easy going----you wake up and do the same things in your routine that keep you going each day.  But there are other days when you have to climb a tall, rugged mountain and you are unsure of the events that may occur on the way up. 
 You know you have to climb it . . . you really don't want to . . . but----------- you do it anyway.  I love the song, "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus when she talks about the journey through life and how our lives are changed when we keep the faith and keep going strong.  

 That is exactly how Spencer and Kelsey felt on Saturday.  They woke up with a challenge ahead of them that made them nervous and unsure.  They were signed up to compete in the Arizona Music Study Program at Arizona State University.  They had to memorize 4 pieces along with scales and cadence patterns for each piece and perform them for a judge.  It was the first time they have ever done anything like this and it was a little scary for them.  In fact, my heart was beating faster for them----I was nervous too!  It brought back memories of my childhood doing the exact same thing.
 They both had to take a 45 minute theory test after they played.  Here their sweet piano teacher, Kandyce Bullock, took a few minutes to quiz Kelsey on some key signatures and composer periods before she went in.  We absolutely LOVE our piano teacher!



Here are the kids right before they went in to play for the judge.  They perform in his office on a grand piano.  Spencer's face cracks me up!  While we were driving that morning, I was telling the kids to just do their best and that whatever happens, we will be super proud of them and they will be even more prepared for next year having already done it once.  Spencer's cute little freckly face wrinkled up and he said, "You mean we are doing this AGAIN next year???"  He couldn't even fathom the idea in his little 10 year old brain that we would put him through this torture AGAIN!  ha ha


Tom and I stood on either side of the door and listened to them as they played.  Honestly, they played all of their songs better than I have ever heard them play.  It was so awesome!
 Look at Spencer's face now . . . as he walked out of the room, we all congratulated both he and Kelsey and told them how proud we were of them.  Then Spencer said something that made my heart sing----"Thanks guys for saying all those nice things about me and saying that I did a good job!  It makes me feel really happy!"


Isn't that awesome?  That tremendous feeling of accomplishment when you do something that is really hard and you do it WELL!
 45 minutes later, the theory tests were completed and we were on our way to celebrate at lunch!!

 When we got back to the car, I took both of the kids and told them to look back at the building where they just came from.  I told them that not everyone gets to even BE in the competition that they just participated in.  I also showed them the Gammage Auditorium, just across the street, and explained how it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and the calibur of musicians that get to perform in that place.  I wanted them to soak in the moment---to feel proud of all they had worked for----and that they succeeded today.  They reached the top of the mountain!


I am so grateful for challenges like these.  I know that our kids wouldn't have stretched and grown as much as they did if they had not done this program.  It has been an incredible learning experience for them and a very rewarding one for Tom and I as their parents!


Kelsey,  took some pictures of herself and "morphed" them into crazy photos on the way home.  I just threw them in for fun!


Now . . . this is the way to relax and celebrate!!!

No comments: