Monday, March 5, 2012

OK - time to catch up!

Wow - last week was one of the busiest I've had this year so far.  BYU's Vocal Point came to Mesa on Tuesday, Feb. 28th and I've been planning that show for over one year now.  That show, combined with a high school choir workshop, Hailey's Kindergarten Musical, the Kid History Movie Premiere, my birthday, meeting with the mall leasing agent for our possible new business, and my dear friend's daughter's wedding, all made for one crazy week!

So, let me show you how my week began (after my birthday)---I woke up to find this letter on the counter.


 It seems that my little kindergartner has a major crush on Dale.  He is a darling boy that our family has become friends with through our recent play, The King and I.  Dale played the oldest crown prince, Chulalongkorn.  
This is Dale, Hailey's little heart throb!

He just turned 14 on Saturday but is as tall as Spencer.  Poor guy---but anyway, I had to have a little talk with Hailey about when it's appropriate to write notes to boys, etc. etc. etc.  Ha!  Dale never got the letter but he knows exactly how Hailey feels about him.  He calls her the little "leech" because she doesn't leave his side whenever we see him.  (we've had a little talk about this as well!)


Alright - on to other things.  The same day as my BYU event, Hailey also had her kindergarten musical.  We couldn't attend the evening concert but I came to the afternoon assembly.  Those little kids are so darn cute!
Hailey's class is on the far right.

They are the butterflies!

She is the cutest BUG in the bunch!


On to the performance - around 5:30 the kids and I headed up to the Mesa Arts Center.  Tom was driving like a mad man from San Diego to make it in time for the show.  He had a 5 day orthodontic study-course over the weekend.  He made it just in time to hear me give the last announcements before the prayer! 
Here are Kohler and Kelsey eating dinner with some of the guys from Vocal Point. They were so cute to talk to my kids and ask them a bunch of questions.

This is Tom Duford (our service coordinator), Kohler, Kevin Hunt (our food coordinator) and his niece.

 This is the Ikeda Theater at the Mesa Arts Center.  This is where I booked the concert.  I was really torn between a high school theater which was quite a bit cheaper, or this venue which cost more, but seated a lot more people and was an incredibly beautiful place to perform.  I am SO glad that I made the right decision.  We completely SOLD OUT the theater and made a ton of money to give away as replenishment grant scholarships to Arizona BYU Students. In the 10 years I've been hosting BYU groups, this is the first time we have had an excess over our expenses like this.  Usually our alumni chapter makes about $500 or so.  I expect to bring in well over $12,000+.  I can't wait to see what the bottom line will be in the next few days!
 Here is Jake, one of the lead singers and the famous face of the TV show, "The Sing Off" where Vocal Point performed last season.  Spencer is so lucky that Jake signed his shirt!
 Here are the guys warming up in the green room.  It was really cool to have my kids participate in the "before-the show" scene.  The director got all the performers in a circle and invited my kids and I to join them.  He asked us to close our eyes and imagine all the great performers who have been on this stage.  (even the Republican Debate was held on this very stage one week ago from this show)  He asked us all to picture in our minds the patrons that would come to the show, to think about their desires, and how they could touch the lives of those in the audience.  Then, they offered a prayer.  It was a very powerful experience for my kids and I was so thrilled they could be a part of it.  

Afterwards, I told my kids that they just experienced what their dad and I used to do when WE toured with BYU groups.  I hope that they could see a tiny glimpse of why we love talking about our performing days with such adoration.  Those truly are fond memories for us.

(from L to R) Ross, John, Landon, Trevor, Robert Jake, McKay, Jake, and Tanner


Tomorrow I will write all about the incredible workshop they put on for the choir students at Campo Verde High School!