Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Obedience=Safety=Peace


Well, the hair issue from yesterday was resolved---no, the hair didn't grow back miraculously, but Hailey figured out a way to spray it down with hairspray.  She was happy and I am happy (but I know it will still take one year to grow those pieces out to match the others! Ahhhhh!!!)
 This was Hailey this morning before school.  She looked so cute that I had to snap a few photos.  When I looked down, I realized that she had her new Sunday shoes on.  She LOVES them!  Hailey has wanted "high heels" for a long time---not because they are high but because of the sound they make!  ha ha  She calls them her "clippy-clop" shoes!

She even made sure I took a close up picture of her fancy shoes so everyone could see them!  But, sadly I reminded her that they were Sunday shoes and she couldn't wear them to school.  She said, "But mom, I won't get them dirty!  I only play and dig in the sand during recess"    . . . . . my point exactly!  So, off came the clippy-clop shoes and on went the school flip flops.  :)


Then, Kelsey came out wearing a dress that she bought with some friends.  At first glance it looked kinda short to me and then she showed me how she was wearing some shorts underneath.  I said to the kids eating breakfast, "Thank you, Kelsey for being so modest."  Then Spencer said, "Kelsey is ALWAYS modest."  I said,  "Spencer, how does that make you feel?"  He answered simply . . . "Safe."  

 Safe . . . isn't that a comforting word?  I thought that was such a profound thing for a 9 year old brother to say about his sister.  Then, I was reminded me how my mother was talking to Hailey and she asked her how she felt about Kelsey.  Hailey said, "Kelsey makes me feel safe because she is my big sister."   I am so proud of Kelsey that her small actions of obedience are having such large impacts on her siblings.  I love and honor her obedient nature. 


Her hair was so pretty, I just had to show it off!

Last Sunday, Kohler received his patriarchal blessing.  What a special experience that was.  Kelsey came with Tom and I and we all felt the spirit as Kohler was given some incredible blessings and admonitions.  We were all fasting and as soon as we got home, Tom and Kohler went directly to go home teaching.  When they got back, I came out of my room and this is what I saw . . .
I know I shouldn't have taken a picture of something so sacred as praying, but this image I wanted to forever burn in my mind.  I was so taken by seeing my two priesthood holders, in their white shirts, kneeling side by side, that it literally stopped me in my steps.  How grateful I am for obedience. When we as a people obey, we are blessed with safety.  That reassurance inevitably brings comfort and peace and once again, we are in debt to a loving Father in Heaven who is so willing to bless us when we are obedient.

No comments: