Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Happy Birthday to my Best Friend!

Today my closest, most dearest friend in the world is turning 42 . . .

He also just happens to be the love of my life and my eternal companion.  How blessed am I?

 When I was a young girl, I used to dream about what my future husband would be like.  I would even make checklists of "must-have's" that fit, what I thought back then, made the perfect husband.    How did Tom match up with that checklist?  Well, actually he fit every wish I had.  He is tall, has dark hair, is very sporty, has a great sense of humor, honors his priesthood, is a return missionary, etc.  But the checklist that I can make for him now doesn't even compare in worth to me, with that checklist of years ago.    
 Tom is such an amazing father.  As the youngest child in his family, I expected him to know NOTHING about changing diapers, taking care of young kids, bathing them, etc.  Tom just picked up those skills like he had been doing them all of his life.  I have NEVER once heard him complain about having to do something for one of our kids.  He truly adores and loves them and would do anything for them.  Tom never complains about how the house may look or if dinner isn't quite the four-course meal.  For example, last night, I had been driving kids around for 2 1/2 hours straight, here and there, and had 15 min. to come home and make something for my family to eat.  What can I make in 15 minutes?  WAFFLES!  So, we had waffles for dinner.  Tom came home and said, "Hey, I love waffles!"  He knows that I haven't been laying around the house watching movies or shopping with friends at the mall.  That is NOT me!  He knows that I do my best to take care of our kids and they come first--the house doesn't.  Yes, we both love a clean home and I try to take care of it the best I can.  But, if it's a choice to help Spencer with his piano in the morning or do the breakfast dishes, Tom supports me 100% in helping Spencer.  (the dishes get done--just much later in the morning!)  Tom loves his parents and siblings.  I love to hear him talk with his mother and sisters.  They make him laugh and he honestly loves being with them and is always concerned about their well-being.



Tom is completely honest.  I have never known him to lie or deal falsely with another person or in our business.  Tom is SO smart!  I knew he was smart when I met him and heard the type of questions he would ask in our religion class at BYU.  But I had no idea how really smart he was, and at such a variety of subjects.  He graduated at the top of his class in dental school and was admitted into the Orthodontic Program at OHSU because of his high marks.  He can carry on intelligent conversations about history, politics, family life, business, etc.  The only subject he and I are not well-versed in, is pop culture.  We don't see a lot of movies or watch a lot of TV so we are a little out of touch with that stuff.  (and that's ok with us!)   Tom is such a great employer.  He truly cares about the well-being of each staff member and feels the responsibility of their livelihood on his shoulders.  Tom loves to be outdoors.  He loves riding his bike, camping, hiking, and just about anything that gets him out in the fresh air.  Tom is extremely talented.  I always hoped I would marry a guy who appreciated music, like my own father.  But, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find a guy who could sing like Tom.  We have had some amazing experiences together with our music.  What a gift that has been to our marriage!

I really could write all day about the little things that I love about Tom. But, I think the thing I love most about him, is that his testimony of Jesus Christ is unfailing.  Because of his faithful testimony in Christ, his love for ME is unconditional.  He treats me like a queen, because he understands the covenants he made in the temple when we were married. We are completely unified when making decisions about our children that involve principles of the gospel because we are both adamant followers of Jesus Christ.  I have to say that I have never been more happy in my life than I am right now.  Life does have its rough moments and parenting has definitely given us a run for our money.  But, living this life with Tom by my side has made me a more confident, more faithful, and a much better person simply by following his example. 


 I will forever be grateful to my Heavenly Father that He placed Tom in my life - a guy whose "checklist" went far beyond the superficial ideals of my youth and now holds celestial treasure for me.