Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vocal Point High School Workshop

Exactly one week ago today, Vocal Point came to our high school, Campo Verde, and gave an incredible vocal workshop to our choir students.  It was over and above what I imagined they would do!


First, they performed a few numbers to set the stage.  It let these students know that they are professionals and extremely talented!

Then, they split up into groups and each member taught the group of kids part of a song, "Your love is lifting me higher."  Some kids learned the melody, some the harmony, and some the bass and rhythmic lines.
(some of my friends, Taylor, Dani, and Kaylee)
(more of my cute friends:  Tara, Natalie, and Hannah)
To be honest, I was skeptical on how they could get 60+kids to sing harmony along with them.  But, they were fabulous teachers and really motivated the kids to sing out!

They taught them the difference between opera style singing and pop singing.  The kids were loving it!
Then they had a beat box workshop where some of the boys gave their  best shot at making drum sounds with their mouths!  It was hilarious!
Look at these smiling kids!!!
I love the posters they made:  CV loves VP  (Campo Verde loves Vocal Point!)  -  I am on the right in my yellow sweater.  I even got Kohler out of school so he could hear these guys perform again.  After the workshop, I treated the guys to Jamba Juice and Kohler came with us.  He loved talking to them and I felt like it was a good experience for him to be there with me.  
After Jamba Juice, we headed over to the Gilbert Temple construction site.  
The missionary couple serving at the temple site begged the boys to sing a song for them.  Graciously, they agreed and sang "Savior, Redeemer of my Soul."  It was the Rob Gardner arrangement and one of my favorites.  While they sang, the Spirit could be felt so strongly and I realized again that THIS is why BYU sends out performing groups.  
Afterwards, we said our goodbyes and Kohler and I got back into the car.  I asked him how the guys sounded, even with all of the construction noises in the background.  He said, "Mom, I didn't hear any of those noises while they sang.  I just looked over at the temple and I knew that what goes on in that building, is true!"  I have to admit, that as a mother, I was SO grateful that he was there with me to experience that moment, instead of in class learning geometry.  Math can be made up at another time, but feeling the Spirit with a singing group like that, was a once in a lifetime experience.