Monday, March 26, 2012

Everybody has HAIR issues!

OK - so this weekend, we had some major HAIR issues!  First up - let's work backwards . . . This is what I found in my garbage can this morning before school . . .

Yes - those long pieces of hair belong to my little daughter.  I couldn't believe it!  When I asked her why she would cut her hair like that she said, "Well, the hair was getting in the way of my flower and nobody could see it!"  Then I told her that she should have asked me for help and Hailey said, "Well, I'm the littlest in the family soooo . . . . ."  I think she was wanting me to fill in the blank with "oh that's ok honey, you are little and you don't know any better."  But not this girl---she is smart and knows exactly what going on . . . well, most of the time.  Apparantly this time she took matters into her own hands and took care of it the fastest and easiest way she knew how.  Oh me oh my!!!


Notice the spikes of hair sticking up.  She cut it practically to the scalp!!!
 This is the face of one unhappy little girl.  :(  I had a little talk with her and told her that no matter what she did to her hair, I still loved her very, very much.  Then, I had to chuckle inside as I thought that many of us, at one point or another, have wanted to just chop off that piece of hair that is driving us nuts.  Today it was Hailey's turn!


Well, on to the other hair story.  Last week was dress rehearsal for "Seussical, the musical."  All the "who's" are suppossed to have blue wigs, even the boys.  So, I looked and looked backstage only to find that they never assigned a wig to Spencer.  So, when I asked the director where his wig was, she grabbed something out of a box and said, "Here, have him try this on."  OK - she pulled out a women's wig that was cut with bangs and curled under like a bob.  Spencer put it on and I wanted to die with laughter---but had to bite my tongue so he wouldn't freak out and get embarrassed.  As I was adjusting it on his head and talking myself into "how can I possibly make him like this wig??"---other cast members walked by and said, "nice wig, Spencer"  "you look like an oompa-loompa" "you look like a girl!"  That was it . . . the wig came off.  Spencer actually took it in stride (no stomping off and throwing fit which I was grateful for).  But, there is no way that I was going to let a wig be the one reason why my son will never do theater again! :)  So, he went "wig-less" for the next two rehearsals.  Still---the director never got him one like the other boys.  By now, I am fuming . . . So, I took matters into my own hands and went out to a costume shop and bought him a wig myself!  Nobody else had to pay for a wig---but here I am paying $25 for one. The only one they had that was the right color of blue was a women's punk rocker wig so I bought it and thought I could make it work, somehow.  I came home and cut off the length (you can still see the blue fuzz in the garbage can in the picture above)  But it still looked too much like a GIRL!  
So, my mom suggested I take it over to my good friend, Jody Peterson, who is a hairstylist.  She laughed when she saw it and said she had never cut a wig before.  But, we dove in and she worked a miracle!!!!
 It's suppossed to be really funky and crazy---like Dr. Seuss's images.  Jody really did a great job and this definitely doesn't look like a girl! Ahh . . . we are saved!!!
 Spencer rolled in to the theater from the Grand Canyon field trip with 45 minutes to spare before the opening night show.  When he saw the wig, he just SMILED so big!!  That was all the payback I needed.  I didn't care about the $25 anymore---my kid was happy and that was enough for me.