Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Two Little Missionaries

With the building of the Gilbert Temple so close to our home, our family has become a more missionary-minded home.  We are talking about the church more because people are asking us about the new temple.  In fact, at Spencer's parent/teacher conference last fall, his teacher confessed to me that they were looking for a church that would fit their family!  I told Spencer that this was the perfect opportunity to be a missionary---to be a great example all year long of how a latter-day saint boy can be!  He spoke out in class about the temple, about missions, and about Family Night.  On many occasions, his teacher would pull me aside and tell me how he could pick out the LDS kids because they would always talk about their families and the things they do together at night and on the weekends at church.  
So, this year for our teacher's gift, we decided to give both teachers a Book of Mormon.  (we also gave them a dinner gift card and movie tickets because the kids didn't want the Book of Mormon to be their only gift :) I was really proud of them as they wrote their testimonies and were brave enough to give it to them on their last day of school.  



 Spencer was a little hesitant at what some of his friends might think, and I don't blame him.  As an adult, I have those same fears.  However, when his teacher opened the book and saw Spencer had written in the front cover, he smiled and said, "Thank you Spencer. This is really great."  Then, his friend, who is also a member of the church saw the Book of Mormon on their teacher's desk.  He asked Spencer if he was the one who gave that to him.  When he told his friend that he was, his friend said, "Spencer that is SO cool!"  That really made him feel good inside.


I love these two little missionaries.  The Lord has saved these precious children for these latter-days and only He knows what great things are in store for them to do.  I am so grateful for their example to me.  
Someday these two will leave my home and who knows where their little feet will take them?  I hope and pray they will always have the courage to share the gospel wherever they go and will spread love and kindness to those they meet.  

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hooray for Israel! What a great way to preach by example and have the courage to share what is most dear.

Rachel said...

That is so great! Your kids are awesome.