Monday, May 20, 2013

Tickling the Ivories

Last Saturday, Spencer and Hailey got up early in the morning and dressed in their Sunday clothes to prepare for their piano adjudication.  It is a piano program through Arizona State University called Arizona Study Program, or ASP around our house.    Each child had to memorize four pieces and play them for a judge to critique them on their technique and knowledge of musical phrasing, dynamics, and rhythm.  I used to do these types of competitions as a kid and it brought back a FLOOD of memories for me!  My hands were sweaty and my heart started beating a little faster for them!

Here is Spencer with his headphones on, running through his pieces one last time before we left for ASU.  
They were playing so cute in the backseat.  I just love how these two get along!

Here we are in front of the Gammage Auditorium and their adjudication was in the Music Bld. just adjacent to the Gammage.

Since no parents are allowed in the room, we all took turns listening by the door to hear how the kids performed.  They both played really well.  I was so pleased!

(I just LOVE this picture of Hailey)
After their piano performance portion, they had to each take a theory test which is pretty difficult.  Spencer is a level 4 and Hailey is a level 1.  We just found out last week that they both passed their tests and received a special purple ribbon that states they both passed with "Superior Honors!"  Yeah Hailey and Spencer!!!!

Here is Hailey at her "Let's Play Music" recital.  She has been in this music program for three years and it culminated in a recital where she played her very own composition.  I tried to upload the video of her playing, but it was too long and wouldn't work.  
But the name of her piece was "The Magic Peacock" and she said in her introduction, "If you listen carefully, in the middle section, you can hear the peacock mixing the magic potions!"  It was really cute and she played it perfectly!
I am so grateful that my children are being exposed to music at such an early age.  I can't imagine my life without music.  Hopefully it will add beauty and happiness to their lives as it has mine!

No comments: