Saturday, June 2, 2012

Summer Goals

Summertime is wonderful.  I love it because it's a time for me to be with my kids and not be driving around like a crazy women to all of the dance classes or music lessons.  I also love the elimination of homework at night!  But, for some reason, my "task-oriented" mind cannot just let my kids sit around and Facebook or watch TV all day.  I want them to be able to relax . . . yes . . . BUT, they can do that after lunch!  From morning, up until lunchtime, they are working on projects and goals we set together.  So far, it's going pretty well!


 Hailey really took to her goals right away.  Since she just finished kindergarten, we decided that she could try and read one chapter book before we left for California next week.  I also told her that she could earn summer spending money ($2 a chapter book). Well, I sort of forgot that this kid reads on a 2nd grade level and is a little smarty pants!  She quickly ran upstairs and found every Magic Treehouse Book she could find.  She sat down and began to read.  She read . . . and she read . . . and she read . . .and that little squirt finished the entire chapter book in about 40 minutes!  So, later on that day, I had to take Kelsey to Goodwill to find some really cheap blouses for our upcoming Pioneer Trek.  Hailey wandered to the toy section and found this gigantic stuffed giraffe!
 Of course I told her we were NOT buying any toys today--just stuff for the trek.  Then she said, "But Mom . . . it's only $1.99 and I have two dollars now from my book!"  She was right----and that gigantic giraffe came home with us.  He took a spin in our washing machine (just to be safe!) and has been her reading companion ever since!
 By the way, since Tuesday, she has read two more chapter books.  She's on a roll!
This is how I found her this morning and it just cracked me up!  I love it!!!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Fantastic kid indeed! you have done well by them to keep them goal oriented and reading! Good job Hailey!