Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Christmas Chain

I absolutely loved President Uchtdorf's talk at the Christmas Devotional.  I loved all of the talks given.  But for some reason, whenever I listen to him speak, I feel like I am having a personal interview with him and he is speaking directly to ME.  He always seems to touch on what I am feeling and what I need to hear.  Last night, as Tom and I were going through our lists of things to do, I began to feel overwhelmed . . . again.  I felt like my list was like Hailey's Christmas Chain----unlike hers getting shorter each day, mine is beginning to feel longer and heavier.  

 I am struggling with what to do . . . I am anxiously engaged in things that are good . . .    


Hailey, getting excited for her "reptile birthday party" on Dec. 17th!!!  That's another thing I am preparing for!
President Uchtdorf said, "if we focus our hearts and minds on the true spirit of Christmas, we will recognize wonderful things happening around us."


I am helping Tom by making gift tags for our giving tree at our office, working on a RS lesson for Christmas, helping with a YM trio for our ward Christmas party, working on a musical number for Tom on Christmas morning, getting our family Christmas Cards out, finding gifts for our staff, gifts for our referring doctors, gifts for our neighbors, visiting teachers, hometeachers, kids teachers, RS Progressive Dinner, Hosting a holiday party for Kelsey's Cheer Team, helping kids with school projects,, etc. etc. etc.  It's all good stuff but it's making me crazy!     I don't think Pres. Uchtdorf means I should stop doing these things (because many of these things I didn't volunteer to do--I was asked).  And yes . . . I could have prepared better, I know that.  But last night, I think we had a breakthrough moment:

Kelsey is sitting in the third chair violin front row.  You can only see her elbow (count three elbows in on the front row--that's her)

 Our plan was to have Tom stay and help Spencer build his Native American Hohokam Dwelling (due tomorrow :) and I would go to Kelsey's Chamber Orchestra concert.  Many times we have to split up like that so we can get everything done.  However, last night, my sweet husband listened to the Spirit----he changed our plans and said, "We are ALL going to Kelsey's concert."  (except Kohler - he was at the Mesa Temple Lights with the Priests Quorum)  So, we all got into the car and went to hear Kelsey play.  Kelsey auditioned to be in this Chamber Ensemble and she was SO excited that she was chosen.  They play high school music and rehearse early in the morning, before school.  What an opportunity!


Kelsey is in the back of the picture.


When the short 40 min. concert was over, Tom leaned over to me and with tears in his eyes said, "I would have been SO sad if I missed that.  I feel like my Christmas Season has begun because of this very concert."  President Uchtdorf said to "see Christmas for what it truly is."  He goes on to say, “It is usually something small—we read a verse of scripture, we hear a sacred carol and really listen to its words, or we witness a sincere expression of love. In one way or another, the Spirit touches our hearts, and we see that Christmas, in its essence, is much more sturdy and enduring than the many minor things of life [that] we too often use to adorn it."

Kelsey finally stuck her head out so we could see her!


Pausing for one hour from our hustle and bustle and listening to the Spirit for that prompting, was what made the difference last night.  We were still able to get Spencer's project done in time.  I don't want to stop doing all the things I am doing (if I make good use of my time and try to simplify things as best I can).  But more importantly, I want to listen to the Spirit so I can not miss those precious moments that make Christmas truly so special and create those memories that last forever.  

No comments: