Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1st is here!

My kids woke up this morning and Spencer yelled, "It's December 1st!!!!"  They are SO excited and so am I!  I absolutely love December and everything it brings!

 I am all prepared with lots of pretty wrapping paper and bows.  Kelsey had fun putting together a gift for her YW gift exchange on Tuesday night.  There is just something fun about pretty wrapping paper!
 The music of December warms my heart.  Little Hailey and I worked on her piano class the other night.  I taught her how to play the I, IV, and V chords in the Key of C.  I explained to her that if she learned those three chords, she could play a ton of songs. 
 So, after practicing her lesson songs, she tried to explore music with those three basic chords.  Oh my gosh!  She played "Rudolph", "Joy to the World" and "Jingle Bells."  It was awesome!  She has such an incredible ear and her sense of where notes are on the piano is unlike I've ever seen in a child only 5 years of age.  I know she has been given a special gift from our Heavenly Father.  I only pray that she and I can open that gift carefully and develop it to its full potential.  
 We had our tree up for Thanksgiving but didn't get the star on.  It was bugging Hailey so much that finally, on Monday night, she had had enough!  She said, "Dad, we HAVE to get our star on, tonight!"
 So, up the ladder they went!
 Ta Da!  It looks so pretty!  Now our tree is finished.  :)
 Kohler - what a jokester-----
 We also started a new family tradition.  For years, Kelsey has wanted me to start the "Elf on a Shelf" book.  I finally looked into the story and it's a really cute idea and everyone is super excited about it.  We named our Elf, "Herbie."   (cuz Herbie doesn't like to make toys.  He wants to be . . a . . . Dentist!!!   ha ha)
 Tom read the story to the kids and explained that the Elf would come in the night and watch them during the day (an Elf came with the storybook).  They cannot touch him or his magic will be gone!  He moves around magically then tells Santa whether the kids have been naughty or nice.  (by the way, how cute does Tom look in this picture!  I love those dimples!)
 Kelsey has those same dimples :)
 Last night, Kelsey read the story again---just to refresh their memory on the Elf "rules."  Herbie appeared on the wreath yesterday morning and this morning he was upstairs on the shelf in the family room where we have morning scripture reading!
I threw this picture in because my parents had to let go of their condo in Scottsdale and all of the furniture had to be moved out.  She let me take the dining set and it matches really well in our room.  There is enough room to put 6 chairs but it only came with 4.  I may look around to find a few more chairs that we could add to fit our family.  I am very thankful to have this beautiful set in my home.  Thank you, Mom and Dad!


Anyway, tomorrow Kelsey and I leave for Utah.  I am not feeling very well and I keep praying that I will have the strength to fly up there and drive around in the snow. My throat is sore and I feel achy but hopefully I will be ok.  I think this is our 5th year going up to "Christmas Around the World."  We always love going to the Holiday Tea Party at the Grand American Hotel in SLC too.  It's such a fun tradition for us and next year, Hailey will be able to come too!  Oh . . . there are so many fun things to look forward to in December!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love your wrapping station. I need one!