Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Circumstance for some Pomp

Hailey Tamara Chamberlain officially graduated from her Pre-Kindergarten class on Tuesday, May 24, 2011.  

At first, Tom and I thought it was kinda silly to pay $15 to purchase a cap and gown just for a pre-K graduation ceremony.  We wondered why the teacher was going to all of this trouble for kids who haven't even entered kindergarten yet.  Then, yesterday-----it was all made clear to me.  The music started.  Everyone stood out of respect.  As I watched her teacher, Mrs. Allison (who is absolutely wonderful) announce each child's name upon entering the room, I could see the look on everyone's face.  They were all smiling.  These kids DID indeed work very hard and we were celebrating what they had achieved.  I could see the wisdom in Mrs. Allison by letting these children feel that sense of accomplishment (something that I fear many children aren't able to feel which leads to self-doubt and depression).  I could see her paving the way for these children to start down the path which leads to other future graduations--from jr. high, from high school, from seminary, from college . . . .  Why not get them used to this feeling when they are young?  I also realized that even though something is really not necessary, it still can be of great value if it lifts the spirit.  I immediately thought of chocolate fudge ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Ha!  It is certainly not necessary but when the occassion calls for it, it puts a HUGE smile on my face.  So---why not have a circumstance for some pomp?  I'm all for it!!!

Here is Spencer having an "unnecessary" chocolate shake to celebrate his awesome poetry reading at school. 
I think his face says it all!!!!!

No comments: