Monday, May 16, 2011

Testimony Building Weekend

On Saturday, after we helped build the playground up in Mesa, Kohler had to get to an Eagle Court of Honor because he had been asked to conduct the meeting by his friend, Chip Hixon, who was one of the boys receiving his Eagle award.  It was quite an honor for Kohler and I wanted him to have a great experience.  I ironed his shirt and dropped him off at the church 30 minutes before so he could get all the information he needed from Chip's dad (Bro. Hixon).

Kohler and Bro. Hixon going over last minute details.

 I really wanted to go and support the Hixon and Murset family.  But now, it was 4:15 and I still hadn't had a chance to shower--there was a hat covering my sweaty head and I drove home thinking I would probably just have to miss this one.  Well, as soon as I pulled the car in, I had the strongest feeling to get back down to the church.  So, I just slicked back my hair into a ponytail, threw some lipgloss and perfume on, changed into a skirt, and I made it by 4:28.  I wanted to be there for Kohler to give him some moral support while conducting his very first Eagle Court of Honor.  There were over 200 people there!  Well, little did I know that if I hadn't gone to this meeting, I would have missed out on an incredibly unique experience.  Chip stood up to present his "mentor pins" and the first one he presented was to one of his scout leaders.  (typically that is who the boys choose since these great men give so much of their time in helping these boys progress to the rank of Eagle).  Well, when Chip got to the second mentor, he explained to the audience that this person really meant a lot to him and has been a tremendous example to him --that he really inspires him and helps him to be better---then, he said, "Kohler Chamberlain."  Everyone in the audience was floored----even our Young Men's President said that in his 47 years, he has NEVER seen a Young Man present a mentor pin to another peer.  I looked around and noticed many adults welling up with tears.  I looked over at Kohler and he was so touched.  His eyes got watery and as he walked up to the microphone, Chip extended his hand out to Kohler to shake it.  Kohler grabbed Chip and they hugged.  It was one of those surreal moments that you never forget.  They looked like two "men in the making." 


Chip Hixon presenting Kohler with his mentor pin award. 
 Sunday, during church, I had so many people come up to me and tell me how cool that was that Chip admired Kohler that much.  Many adults also told me that they have never seen that happen before where an eagle scout presents a mentor pin to another teenager.  I asked his mother if she knew about Chip's decision and she said she didn't know.  The only thing she told her son before the meeting was to make sure and choose someone who "makes you think before you act."  I am so proud of Kohler that he has made such an impact on this young man's life.  Chip is an outstanding and very talented young man.  What he did for Kohler today, will forever be a source of strength for him.

Then, after sacrament meeting, Kohler walked up to the stake president who was sitting on the stand next to the Bishop.  Bishop Everton told President Layton about Kohler receiving the mentor pin and it made him smile ear to ear!  Kohler later told me how great it felt to conduct that meeting and how someday he wants to be a bishop and be a great leader like those men.  (heavenly words for a mother to hear!)

Sunday evening, Kohler was invited to come and visit the Hixon's Grandfather who was staying at their home for a few days.  They call him "Pappa Magic."  Kohler said he taught their priesthood quorum lesson and everyone was just glued to every word this man spoke.  So, his good friend, Brandt Carmichael, came and picked him up and they spent the evening over there just hanging on every word this man said.  He also taught some "life lessons" as he arm-wrestled the boys.  (He is 70 years old and he still beat every boy there!)
Kohler getting beat by a 70 year old man.  What a great night!

Jake Hixon, Brandt, Simon Hixon, Pappa Magic, Kohler, and Chip
I am so grateful for the Spirit touching my heart and prompting me to go to that Court of Honor.  If I had missed that sweet moment in time, I would have been so sad.  Those moments are like "gold" to any mother---especially one that worries about her son like I do.  I am so proud of these boys.  They are righteous priesthood holders who are trying their very best to become great missionaries and fathers someday.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

so fun to be there and read both sides of the story! thanks for sharing!

Thatcher Family said...

I'm so glad you were there! I didn't see you or Tom and I was sad to think that you missed his face when Chip called his name. It was priceless. Congrats to you ALL. :)