Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Easter was "Eggcellant!!

My kids don't like it when I pull out my camera during dinner.  But every once in a while, as we are eating, I just look around at these precious little faces and I want to capture the moment of them ALL sitting at my table.  (Kohler was getting lettuce out of his teeth!  ha ha--he looks like he is frowning :(  But these moments are fleeting.  I know that.  And someday, all I will have is photos like this to bring me back to this moment when they were all young and living in my home.

Tuesday evenings are really special for me.  My older teenagers head out to YM/YW and Tom usually has church duties as well.  So, the little ones and I try to do something really fun---just the three of us!  Tonight, we decided to make Easter Sugar Cookies!
Boy was it ever fun----and really really messy!
As I was baking with the kids I said to Spencer, "Spence, I am so glad that you still have one year before you head out to YM when you are a Deacon on Tuesday nights.  Then---like a lightening bolt out of nowhere it HIT me . . . Spencer is turning 11 in 2 weeks and then he will be attending 11-year old scouts.  That scout group meets on Tuesday nights at 7:00 p.m.  Just like the teenagers!!!  Suddenly, one year of my Tuesday nights with him completely vanished before my eyes.  My heart sank---and I realized, again, that life is fleeting.  Why, oh why does it have to be so??
Of course, sugar cookies are so addicting to me.  It's impossible for me not to eat one so of course, we all had to try a few---just to make sure they were safe to eat! ha ha!


On the Friday before Easter, we went to a really fun Easter Egg Hunt that some of my neighbor friends put together.  In an effort to be good missionaries and involve our community, they decided to invite families from our three neighboring streets to a potluck breakfast and egg hunt.  There was a tremendous turnout and I was able to talk to several non-members about boys and girls leaving to go on missions and our new temple being built here in Gilbert.  
My sweet little Hailey!
Here is our good Bishop Everton welcoming everyone there!
Here is Spencer and his best friend, Zach Everton. 




On Saturday,we made a mini-brunch outside with cheesy eggs, fruit smoothies, and pancakes!  Hailey made the place cards for everyone.  :)
Then we colored Easter Eggs.  I LOVE that the little ones still like doing this!  
Even Tom and I made one.  We are little "at heart" most of the time!


That night, I had the privilege of going with my sweet daughter to the YW General Broadcast.  I LOVE going with her.  There was a service event right before and we were able to make headbands for a women's shelter and tie a fleece blanket for them as well.  
Then, on Easter Sunday, we had my sister, MaryKay and her family over for dinner.  I love having them over.  Her kids are SO darling.  We made honey ham, marshmallow sweet potatoes, rolls, salad, homemade caramel sauce over ice cream---and of course, the kids wanted to make shave ice!!  But, none of us took any pictures of our Easter dinner.  :(    But, let me tell you, it was "EGGCELLANT!"

No comments: