Thursday, October 4, 2012

Still in "that" stage

Our "Hailey Girl" started soccer for the first time this year.  For weeks she kept asking me, "WHEN is my soccer practice???"  I was so happy to see that she was super excited to start because after all, I don't think she even knows what soccer is or what the rules of the game are.  She was just so  happy to be playing with some of her friends from school!

 There she is, number 3.  Their team only had one practice before her first game and Hailey was so nervous that she was going to do something wrong with "everyone watching her."  She is a perfectionist that way and I had to help her understand that soccer is for exercise and to learn a new sport----relax and have fun!
 We were surprised to see how fast her little legs could run!  She and her friend, Avery, are the two smallest girls on the team.  They are just little squirts!!

 As we pulled up to the GYSA soccer complex, I saw the hundreds of cars and parents lugging chairs, umbrellas, coolers filled with snacks/drinks, etc. and then remembered that Hailey's game field is the furthest most field from the parking lot.  I got a little cranky and wished I had planned for an extra 10 minutes---but then a sweet feeling came over me and my heart was immediately changed.  I'm still in "that" stage---the stage of being a soccer mom, the stage of getting snacks/drinks for the players because sometimes that's the best part of the game for them!  ha ha----Having teenagers who are not in "that" stage anymore has made me forget how much I actually really LOVE doing all of this.  I have been feeling older these last few months with some health issues creeping up on me (and it's NOT fun!).  But I can't tell you how much I loved still being in the precious mom stage with a child starting soccer for the first time.  LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

 As the coach would trade out players, Hailey ran off the field to guzzle water (in the 106 degree heat!!).  Towards the end of the game we noticed that she tripped and fell trying to kick the ball.  There was a cluster of girls around her and we didn't notice that someone accidentally kicked her in the eye.  When she stood up, she was crying.  I ran out to the field and helped her off.  She could hardly open her eye----poor little thing!

So, I held her for a while until she could open it and the stinging went away.  I have to admit, I was a little selfish and glad that I could have some "snuggle time" with her.  I still love "that" stage too!!!

I honestly thought she would be out for the rest of the game because she would be afraid of her eye hurting and just because she probably was tired after playing for almost one hour straight.  But, to my surprise, after only about 5 minutes on my lap, she sat up and said, "Mom, I want to go back in the game!  I wanna play!"  So, I looked over at Tom, so happy that she had a little "fighter" attitude and said, "Well, go out there and stand on the sidelines so your coach knows you want to play again!"  Off she went-----her coach put her in for the last few minutes of the game and they finished strong and won the game!  It's amazing to me, as a mother, that you can see strong character traits in your children at such a young age.  This one was a new revelation to me.  I was really proud of her not quitting but trying her best to endure to the end.  That character trait alone will serve her well---that and her fiesty little spirit!  ha ha!

No comments: