Saturday, August 30, 2014

Kohler's Mission Farewell and Goodbyes

I have had truly one of the most glorious seasons of my entire life. 

 I have laughed
 I have cried
 I have worried
 I have relied . . .
 but all in all I have felt JOY like never before!

I focused solely on my little family because I knew in a matter of weeks my little nuclear family was going to be split apart and we wouldn't all be together again for a very long time.  So, I have no regrets even though this blog is WAY behind (but I will get caught up hopefully very soon!) - written July 28th.  :)

(OK - so now it's August 29th, ha ha! and I am just now getting these photos posted to the family blog.  I have been keeping a mission blog for Kohler and am so diligent to post every week but I wanted some of these pics for our family blog too so I am catching up today!)
 This was the Sunday that Kohler and Keaton were ordained to be an Elder and receive the Melchizedek Priesthood.  What an amazing spiritual experience that was for our entire family. So many of his scout leaders and men he loved were there.


We had so much family come for Kohler's Farewell Weekend.  It was filled with so many emotions and was almost surreal watching it all happen. The Roundy's came from Tucson, Lisa and Tyler came from Tulsa, Mary came from Utah, The Davis Family came from California, my parents came from California, and the LaDukes drove all 6 miles from Chandler!  ha ha  Truly, it was SO wonderful having loved ones around us.  We know there were others who wanted to come but just weren't able to but we still felt so much love and support from them!
 I had a t-shirt quilt made for Kohler that turned out so cool!  It was filled with many of the shirts from his school days that meant a lot to him--all of his scout shirts, football camp and High School shirts, EFY, etc.  He loved it!


This was one of the hardest days---saying goodbye to cousins.  Oh how the cousins LOVE Kohler!

 Silly Kiddos!
This is probably one of their favorite things to do with Kohler---wrestle!!


The night before his farewell, after opening gifts, Kohler laid on the floor and talked to his younger boy cousins for a very long time.  
 He was telling them strong words of advice of how to stay strong in school and stick to what you believe.  It was such a tender moment because those boys just listened so intently.  


I normally don't take pictures in church but it was just too fun seeing tons of family sitting in the rows for his farewell.  It was a triple farewell:  Pablo Gutierrez, Keaton Peterson, and Kohler Chamberlain.  What a powerful meeting it was!


Kohler loves the Davis kiddos.  Their family had to leave after the luncheon and it was SO hard saying goodbye to them.





 After his talk, we all came home and fed a lot of people lunch.  After lunch, Kohler was able to get one more good back rub in before the Open House that night. :)



 Saying goodbye to Lisa and Tyler was really hard for Kohler too.  Tyler got a little emotional and it was so sweet to watch those boys hug each other.
The 10 days between his farewell and departure date were mainly spent preparing and packing.  But there were a few days he managed to get out and have some fun too!
 Our neighbor and friend, Dave Lee, was kind enough to take our kids and Keaton out on the boat to go wake boarding one last time!

My sweet mother sewed bright yellow dots on EACH of his black socks so he would know which ones were his and not get them lost in the laundry!  Can you believe it?  That was about 24 dots she had to sew.  What a woman!!
Here was the stash I was keeping and waiting for this week to finally organize it all and pack it up.
 My sweet daddy and Spencer helped get all of his white shirts out of the packages, took the pins out, and got them ready for me to wash.  That's a job when you have about 15 or so shirts. I was SO thankful for their help!
 Here's Kohler and Suzy.  She is a girl Kohler met about 6 weeks before he left on his mission.  He hadn't had a girlfriend all through high school and then right before he leaves, he met her!  Timing . . .hmmmm . . .  But we absolutely adore Suzy.  She was so darling with our family and was a super good influence on Kohler, and vice-versa.  She made him really happy and that was fun for him.  


These two, Kohler and Kelsey, are my little "Oregon Babies"--they have become so close and it will be so hard for Kelsey to not have her big brother around.  She loves him dearly and they have so much fun together.  It was always my dream that they would have a great relationship---and they do!
 Steven, helping Kohler get his spare retainers made to keep that gorgeous smile in Argentina.  Notice, they are always comparing whose biceps are bigger!  ha ha!


Checking off lists, labeling things, marking initials with a laundry pen...could have been a chore for other moms.  For me, it was a privilege and something I actually looked forward to doing.  How many other moms out there have sons who chose not to serve a mission.  How could I not be so grateful for this opportunity to serve my son?  Every time I worked on this stuff my heart just swelled with gratitude.  



Monday morning was one of the hardest goodbyes for Kohler . . . saying goodbye to his Grandma and Grandpa Marshall.  He loves his grandparents (Mary too :) so very very much.  He listens to them---he takes their advice--and he respects them and feels their love.

 My dad is Kohler's only living grandpa and they have always had a very close relationship.  Actually, Kohler has been close to all of his grandparents since he was a little boy.  Oh, how he loves them!



We also drove down to Casa Grande and met Colleen, Wade and Mary to say goodbye to them for the last time.  We met at Olive Garden and had lunch there then had our goodbyes.  I was pretty emotional that day, so was everyone else, because nobody snapped any pictures except these two.  But it meant so much for Kohler to get to see his sweet Aunt and Uncle and Grandmother one last time before he left.

The night before he was set apart as a missionary was "Bro Night!"  All his best guy friends got together and went out to eat and have some fun.  Most of these boys are also preparing to serve a mission.  I couldn't have asked for better kids for my son to hang out with during his Senior year.  


 One night about 2 weeks earlier, I was in my office typing on the computer and I overheard Kohler talking on the phone with one of his friends.  I still was wondering, in my heart, whether or not he was truly excited to go or if he was mainly going because it was his duty.  I heard him say to his friend, "Aren't you just so excited to start your mission?  I mean, look at all of us--we are all in the same situation and we are doing this together!  We know what we are each going through and feeling right now. It's such an honor to be able to go and serve!"  When I heard him say this, tears just poured down my face because I finally knew, deep in my heart, that Kohler truly wanted to serve for the right reasons.  Another sweet tender mercy for the mom :)

The night before Kohler left on his mission, and before he was set apart by the Stake President, we asked Kohler if he would give us all blessings.  This truly was one of the most significant nights of my entire life.  Watching my son go and pray before he gave these blessings then coming out and laying his hands on our children's heads was more than I could have imagined it would be.  I kept saying to Tom while Kohler was praying, "He has never given blessings before.  Maybe this is asking too much of him the night before he leaves?"  Tom, in his wisdom answered, "Tamara . . . Kohler has received blessings all of his life.  He knows what to do and the words will come, as they do for me."  
He then gave a blessing to Hailey, Spencer, Kelsey, and me.  I was so honored he would give me one.  We went a little overtime and weren't able to have Tom get one because we needed to be at the Stake President's office by 9:00 pm.  But as my sweet boy placed his hands on our heads and spoke, he did so with such maturity and calmness.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  Was this the boy who gave me a run for my money when he was 14?  Was this the boy who was frequently late for morning scriptures when he was 15?  Was this my little baby who made me a mother for the very first time?  How did this happen . . . where had the time gone . .  As he spoke, tears just flowed down my face.   But they weren't tears of sadness for days gone by as much as tears for joy that my goal had been reached.  Ever since he was a tiny baby in my arms, I knew that the summer of 2014 would be the year I would give him back to the Lord so he could serve a mission, if he so chose to serve.  This is what I had worked for so hard all of those years and now I was living it.  
I recorded those precious blessings and they are typed in my online journal.  What a treasure they are to me and my children.

 These two guys have been best friends since the day we moved in.  For 10 years they have helped each other through so much and are just so darn cute together.  It still makes me smile seeing them!

 Keaton has been like another brother to Kelsey and she will miss him terribly too.
Now they are officially, "Elder Chamberlain and Elder Peterson."

This was right after the boys were set apart as missionaries, Tuesday night (July 1st)

I was pretty much prepared for many things along this journey---shopping at Pomeroy's, emotions I would feel watching him get his mission call, the farewell, etc. But something I wasn't prepared for was the setting apart.  I had never been to one before and what I experienced was unlike anything I had ever been through before.  I had no idea the magnitude of the outpouring of the Spirit I would feel and it completely took me by surprise.  As we visited with the Stake President, whom I absolutely love, we told him of our love for Kohler and why we are so happy to see him serve a mission.  I told him of Kohler's love for the Savior and his understanding of the atonement and eternal families and how that will be a strength to him on his mission.  Tom said some wonderful things about Kohler's leadership abilities and his strength in choosing the right, no matter what others say.  Then Kohler was able to say a few words about why he wants to serve a mission.  He expressed his gratitude for leaders and family members before him who have served and how he wants to be just like them.  He bore his testimony and it was so rewarding as his parents to listen to him bear such a strong witness.  Then, President Layton asked him to come forward to get set apart.  What took place for the next 15 minutes was something I truly will never forget.  He placed his hands, along with Tom's, on Kohler's head and set him apart as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Then he proceeded to bless him with the most incredible blessings that I have ever heard.  He blessed him with the gift of tongues, with safety, with a love for the people of Argentina, that the Spanish language would become sweet to him, and many more blessings that I have written in my journal.  The Spirit in that room was tangible.  I felt it and as President Layton was speaking, I opened my eyes and wouldn't have been surprised to see angels standing also ministering to him---that's how strong the spirit felt to me. My kids even said they felt the same way.  As President Layton spoke, my mind caught hold of the idea that President Layton was a great General in an Army and he was suiting up on of his best soldiers in heavy armor for battle.  As he pronounced each blessing upon Kohler, it was like he was layering another piece of armor on him for protection.  I don't know that I will ever experience something like that again in my lifetime---maybe when another one of my children serves a mission.  But truly, it was an experience I will never forget.  Afterwards, we hugged our sweet Stake President and then I turned to Tom and said, "That right there . . . made EVERY tough parenting moment, WORTH IT!"  I didn't want that feeling to end but I knew we had to face it---the flight was tomorrow and he needed to leave for battle . . .

JULY 2 - DEPARTURE DAY
Getting help with his tie, one last time with Dad
 His sweet Grandma Chamberlain gave him a really cool bracelet that says, "Remember" on it along with a beautiful letter encouraging Kohler to remember where he comes from, to remember he has family who loves him, to remember and not forget that our Savior has been through everything and knows how he feels.  It meant so much to Kohler. 

 It was so tender watching him say goodbye to his little dog, Rider.  Rider has no idea that this guy will be gone for 2 years but I'm sure he will recognize him when he gets back!



This is what the sunrise looked like on the morning of July 2, 2014 on our way to the airport.  Isn't that beautiful?  I think the heavens were smiling and honoring another missionary with that same radiant light!

 One last Verve drink for the road!  ha ha!  He's gonna need it today!  Today he begins his missionary work!



 This is one of my most favorite photos of the morning.  We were in the elevator heading to the main level from the parking lot and the look in Kohler's stare just spoke volumes to me--as if he knew what was ahead of him and he was facing it with courage, while Kelsey's sweet arm around her brother's shoulder also told me that this was hard on everyone---we were all feeling it.  
 Sweet Kelsey wrote several letters to Kohler for him to "Open when . . ." he is sad, or homesick, or needs a laugh, or on his birthday, etc.  It was such a thoughtful gift---so like my sweet Kelsey.

 We had about 40 min. or so before Kohler headed through security.  It was so nice to sit and talk with him but part of me just wanted to get it over with because I knew saying goodbye was inevitable.  I am SO glad we didn't drive him up to Utah.  That would have been the longest drive ever for me.  This was perfect for our family.

Kohler is going to really miss his dad.  They are such good friends and he has learned so much from his dad.  I will forever be grateful for every minute Tom spent with him, mentoring him and teaching him, and just being there for him.  He truly is the greatest dad Kohler could have ever asked for.

One last "Selfie!"  

 I love this picture.  This hand is one I have held so very much.  I held it tight crossing the streets to keep him safe when he was little, I held it when he was getting shots at the doctor's office, I held it and rubbed it SO many times during church to keep him awake and look alert at the speakers (that was our deal :) but now I was holding it for the last time for two years.  I held his hand in mine and wondered, "What good things are his hands going to do in these two years? I wish I could just jump in his pocket and witness all of them."  

Oh how they will miss each other!

 Kohler met another missionary heading to Argentina as well--just different missions.  It was so nice for him to have someone who was taking the shuttle to the MTC and someone to talk to!


  To say that I will miss this kid is an understatement.  I will miss him terribly.  But I don't want him home.  That is the struggle of this whole thing!  I know he needs to be away from me but in so many ways I don't want him to leave.  Kohler has been my confidant, my advice-giver, my second pair of eyes to his younger brother and sisters, and such a dear friend to me.  Almost every day after school we would sit in the living room and I would rub his back or his feet while he would talk and talk and talk.  I loved listening to him and we looked forward to "our talks" every day.
  As hard as this is, he needs to go.  I know it and he knows it.  
I wouldn't want it any other way. . . 

This was a banner year for our family:  Hailey turned 8 and was baptized; Kelsey turned 16 and began to date and drive, also received her YW Medallion; Spencer turned 12 and received the priesthood and is a Deacon, and Kohler received his mission call and the Melchizedek Priesthood.  I don't know if we will ever have a year like this again.  But I do know that I will be eternally grateful that I was here to witness it . . . that I was able to experience it and feel the glorious joy that is hard to describe from having children who make good choices. They aren't perfect, as their parents aren't perfect, but we are all trying.  Then, when we mess up, we know how to fix it and keep moving forward.  I just hope and pray we can REMEMBER the feelings of this summer and always treasure them in our hearts.  They can be such a strength to our family and can unite us forever!  

No comments: