Monday, January 14, 2013

Christmas Happenings

Really, where do I even begin?  I have let our family blog go by the wayside and to be honest, it's been really nice not to worry about it.  But now, I have to face reality and get it up and going again.  I have a bazillion photos to post and sift through and that will take a lot of time - but it's oh so fun to relive those memories!!  

We were very blessed to have a fun family Christmas this year.  Here are some fun pictures of what we did!!

 With Tom's mother ill this Christmas, it was different for everyone. Colleen, Tom's sister, spent the holiday with her mom because her surgery was just days before Christmas and she needed 24 hour care.  It was such a sacrifice of love on her part to be away from her family and we all missed them terribly.  But, we felt so grateful that we could be together at least and having the Roundy's at our home was SO much fun for us!!
 Hailey adores her cousins and they are so darling with her--they always have been!
 We had to keep with our Christmas Eve tradition and eat peppermint ice cream and watch "The Polar Express."  That's the very last thing we do before the kids go to bed.



 We snapped a photo when the kids were asleep.  It's a tradition that they all sleep in Kohler's room every Christmas Eve!  (I love how Kelsey's arm is flung over Kohler's body!  ha ha)
 When we hear movement upstairs, then we know it's time to wake up.  The kids know they have to stay in their room until we come get them.  Then, they can run across the walkway and "take a peek" at what Santa brought.  (Hailey's blanket with all the holes in it is "perfect for peeking" she said!)  Then, we gather in our upstairs family room where we have our morning scripture study.  We watch a short video on the birth of our Savior, to remind us why we are celebrating this special day--then we have a family prayer.  Then----the kids are about to burst with excitement----so we run downstairs to get the cameras ready!!!










 My favorite gifts of Christmas are the ones the kids give each other.  They buy them with their own money and it's always the most fun to watch!!




 So, about halfway through opening presents, everyone gets really hungry for our traditional monkey bread!!!!  It's to die for!!
We also had hot chocolate and right after breakfast, this is what Rider (our dog) looked like!
 The kids said, "Mom, Rider got into the hot chocolate!!"  When I took a closer look, it wasn't chocolate.  He had taken the bone he got from Santa and BURIED it in the yard!!!  He has NEVER done that ever before and has never seen another dog do that.  We have given him several bones before and he just chews them up on our back patio.  But, Christmas morning, this guy chose to bury it in the mud.  His paws were muddy and his face was a mess.  It was hilarious!
So, here we are - Christmas morning---giving the dog a bath!?!





 Every year Kelsey writes the most heartfelt sweet letters to Tom and me.  It always makes me cry.  Kohler said, "Aw, here come the tears from mom! ha ha"  I can't help it.  She says the most wonderful sweet things in her letters.  It's always my most favorite gift of Christmas.  
 Kohler - being his normal, goofy self.  You gotta love him!!!




 Yes - I put laundry baskets out so everyone has a homebase to keep their stuff in.  We don't want anything getting thrown out in the trash!



Every year I wonder how it all will turn out and every year I think, "This is the best Christmas Ever!"  Our son Spencer summed it up perfectly when asked what his favorite part of Christmas was.  He said, "I just loved being with my family.  Even if I didn't get any presents, my favorite part was being all together. I love that!"  

My feelings exactly.




1 comment:

Kirsten said...

the laundry baskets are GENIUS!! I think we threw away a gift card to Toys R Us from one of the grandparents :(

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!