Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Annual Girl's Weekend + 1

Every December, Kelsey and I fly to Utah for our Annual Girl's Weekend.  We have done this for five years now, but this year, we decided to add one . . .

 Yes . . . Hailey girl came with us this year.  




I asked my girls to indulge me in these darling red coats I found.  I have just had a dream to take my girls to NYC, dressed in red coats, and walk around the tree at Rockefeller Center, go ice skating, and then see the darling Christmas show at  Radio City Music Hall.  Maybe someday NYC will happen, but for now, Salt Lake City is good for us.  There is something magical about Salt Lake during the holidays and we wanted to be a part of it.


 We met my parents at the airport and then headed to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building for lunch.

 Hailey made a wreath on the ground with leaves while we were waiting to get in to the tabernacle.

 We heard the most amazing organ recital from Richard Elliott.  He played an incredible arrangement of "Come, Come Ye Saints" that brought me to tears as I sat in the very tabernacle that those blessed pioneers built by hand.  Then, Bro. Elliott played the same song that I played at our Stake Christmas Concert a few years ago, "Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isabella" - only he was absolutely masterful.  I got chills listening to him!
What did I ever do to be blessed with the most amazing parents in the world?  
 After lunch, we walked around some shops and saw this enormous Christmas ornament decorated ALL with candy!
Hailey and Hayden enjoying their strawberries and cream!
 At 4:00 we went back to the Grand America Hotel for Afternoon High Tea.  (one of our favorite traditions!)  Ali (my sweet sister-in-law) met us with her darling girls, Hayden and Parker.  
Here is Ali and her little Parker Belle.  



 They had the most delicious hot chocolate, finger sandwiches, and desserts!


Hailey loved the hot chocolate but didn't even touch the sandwiches or dessert.  She is my picky eater and it drives me nuts.  Kelsey is always so good to try new things (except seafood!)     But even this year Kelsey didn't eat very much of the finger foods.  Soooo, we may be skipping the afternoon tea next year . . .

 Of course, Grandpa couldn't resist playing with Parker.  She is such a little cutie!



No snow again this year!
   
 We stayed at the Grand America this year and really loved the beautiful rooms.  The view of the city was pretty awesome too!

 The next day, we went and did some Christmas Shopping at City Creek.  Wow - is that place impressive!

 Mom found a new coat which looked absolutely amazing on her.  My parents are so fun to be with and so classy.  They have taught me so many good things and I am so grateful to them for all they do for me and my children.  
 Yes, Hailey loves her new ear muffs!  She slept with them the night before and wore them practically every waking minute after. ha ha!




 This is a gorgeous outdoor fireplace that you can sit by and relax at City Creek.  Kneaders, where we ate lunch, is right behind it.  

I can't believe this little girl is now almost 15 years old.  I love her so much!

 After City Creek and a fun lunch at Kneaders (yum!) we headed down to Gardner Village. Hailey had two wishes coming on this trip.  One was to ride a horse (which I didn't know if we could make that happen) and the other was to find a reindeer stuffed animal.  Luckily, we found a reindeer at Kneaders and she named it, "Jingle" --then we saw that there were horses at Gardner Village!   Hailey was so excited that they had horses to ride!  Her other wish came true! (phew!)

 That night we went to the BYU Folk Dancers concert called, "Christmas Around the World."  It was really fun for me to show the girls that I performed on that same stage about 20 years ago.  
They did a really beautiful Chinese Dragon dance which Hailey loved, since she is obsessed with any sort of reptile!



I sure love my daddy!  We have the same brown eyes :)
 The next day we had a nice breakfast and packed up our things. My mom and dad treated Hailey to an art kit that she picked out for her birthday coming up this month.  She loved it and used it on the trip home.  




I am forever grateful that I have daughters.  I love my sons and am truly so grateful for them as well.  But, it's just a really special thing for me to have two daughters to share special moments like these with.  

No comments: